In contrast to the other electron beam lithography systems, the hardware of the smile2 contains no dedicated pattern generation but IO-devices, so it’s IO-hardware only. The smile2 hardware is responsible for data dispatching, timing, triggering and the digital-to-analog and analog-to-digital conversion.
With extensibility in mind, the hardware is divided into a digital part that can drive one or more analog “output pairs”. Each output pair can drive one beam, the beam blanker, and the signals from two detectors. In this way, existing systems can be extended to real multi-beam systems.
A novel and unique feature of the IO-harware is its ability to change the sampling rate (in terms of e-beam lithography: dwell time) at every sampled point without any time loss. We named this feature elementary time partitioning (etp). It is the the driving factor not only for high-resolution 3D Lithography, but also for high-quality proximity effect correction, since no fracturing of the geometry for correction is required.
In many cases (e.g. for small structures, lenses), it is important on which path the beam moves during exposure. Alos for a large amount of repeatable elements such photonic crystals, the exposure time can be reduced by minimizing jumps between two elements. Since the pattern generation is performed in software, the beam movement strategy can be adapted to the current task.
- Novel versatile electron beam lithography solution.
- Can be attached to any electron microscope or FIB (years 2000+)
- Allows the exposure of many millions of polygons within a few seconds
- Generates procedurally computed complex structures, such as fractals
- Individually addresses the dwell time of all potentially 4.3 billion sampling points to correct for proximity
- Performs high-resolution 3D lithography by modulating beam dose
- 64 Bit Intel CPU, Windows 10 or Linux, 21″ monitor,
- 1TB HDD, 16 GB RAM
- Sniper2 IO System (integrated):
- Two (x,y) 16 Bit output resolution channels with a maximum voltage of +/- 10V (adjustable to +/- 5 or +/- 1V)
- Two 12 Bit analog input channels (+/- 10V maximum voltage)
- Sampling rates up to 100 mega samples/s
- Per sample adjustable sampling rate in real time (only unlocked after purchasing the etp2 option)
- Two digital beam-blanker control outputs
- Two digital inputs (can be used as a triggers)
- DAC/ADC inputs through SMA
- SEM I/O-interface
- SEM control module via Ethernet, USB or serial port
- Compact form factor (as midi-tower or 3HU 19″ mount available)
The base sytem, includes all core components to perform lithography. In detail, it comes with
- IO Hardware with sampling rates up to 100 MS/s
- DAC/ADC Extension board including
- Two analog outputs. 16 bit.
- Two analog inputs. 12 bit .
- Two digital beam-blanker control outputs
- Two digital inputs
- SEM I/O-interface (RS232, Ethernet or USB)
- 64 Bit Intel CPU, Windows 10 or Linux, 21″ monitor
- 1TB HDD, and 16 GB RAM
- smile2 Basic software
- GDS II Import/Export
smile2 should work with all major decent (year 2000+) SEMs.
However, since most SEM vendors changed many things over years, we need to know the exact model and options to tell how good the support for the corresponding SEM is.
- Ultra-complex structures
- High resolution
- Fresnel lenses and profiles
- Multi-layer and devices
- High Preformance and flexible pattern generation
- High Resolution Proximity Effect Correction
- Fast & precise IO hardware
- User-Friendly and Reliable Software
- Flexible and automatable workflow
- Easy and reliable 3D lithography
- Procedural shapes and large object arrays
- Minimization of jumps between shapes
- Control of the order in which the structures will be exposed
- Control of the filling pattern strategy (the beam movement)
Extensions & Modules
In contrast to other vendors, neomicra offers a modular product platform. Depending on your needs, individual modules can be purchased and added in order to get new functionality. Currently, neomicra offers the following components and modules, integratable in the smile2 base system:
- Variable (per sample) sampling rate – etp2
- pA-Meter (for current measurement)
- Automatic alignment option
- Proximity effect correction
- Exposure automation system
- Extended support
- Fast Beam Blanker
- IO Extension board for additional IO channels
- Smile2 desktop licenses